The funding for Cycle Friendly Deal has now closed and the information below explains the project and what was achieved. Further details can be found on our Cycle Friendly Deal page here.
Following a successful bid to the Coastal Community Fund and additional support and funding from Deal Town Council, Cycle Friendly Deal came into being in November 2018 as a two year project to promote Deal, Walmer, Sholden and Mongeham as a visitor destination for Cycling.
Much was achieved and Deal Town Council continued Cycle Friendly Deal beyond the original expiration in March 2021.
After the launch in November 2018 and consultations with local businesses involved in the visitor economy and local cyclists, a Roadmap was produced for the project.
A number of initiatives have been delivered, including:
- 26 new secure cycle stands in 11 locations across Deal & Walmer
- Three free Cycle Maintenance Classes
- Delivered Cycle September in 2019 with:
- 22 Leisure Rides
- 5 Confidence Rides
- 3 Heritage Rides
- Donate a Bike Week
- Affordable Refurbished Bike Sale
- Cycle Film Night with Deal Film Club at The Astor
- Delivered a Cycle Celebration in October 2019 with:
- Bike Jumble
- Vintage Bike Display from the Dover Transport Museum
- Rollapaluza Roller Racing
- Dr Bike
- Bike Security Marking
- Bungee Run
- Giant Garden Games
- RPM Trials Bike Display Team
- Cycling UK VR Headset
- Community Groups Stalls
- Created new leisure Cycle Routes
- Mapped a Cycle Quietway Network across the Deal Urban Area
- Produced a Cycle Friendly hub
- Produced a Cycling & Walking Map
- Purchased a fleet of eight e-bikes